Thread: Saruman's ring
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
If we look at the reason behind making a Ring of Power in the first place, I'd now be inclined to think Saruman's (assuming he did fashion it) just an ornament.
The ornamental function was definitely present ("Look, I am Saruman the Ring-Maker!", he boasted proudly). But I am pretty convinced that wasn't the only purpose, it would have been too little for him to bother himself with it. And certainly he won't proclaim himself "the Ring-Maker" after he'd just successfully created a nice piece of jewellery. Certainly you wouldn't expect Saruman to say things to the effect of "look Gandalf, I have a new handbag."

Quote:
What motive would Saruman have had in trying do the same thing? He could not have exercised control in any special way. A ring created by him should not have led to any increase in his power, or in any of his native abilities. He was already an "inferior" of Sauron's in will and spiritual power, which is why he knew in order to challenge Sauron he must gain Sauron's Ring.
Sauron had more power when he had the Ring than he would have otherwise. The Ring obviously amplified power, that much we know. It isn't like that Sauron created the Ring, put e.g. half of his power into the Ring, and thus without it, he would have only half of his power, and with it, he would have again just his "normal" power. It isn't like 1-0,5=0,5 and thus in reverse, 0,5+0,5=1. But instead, for some reason, it looks more like Sauron with a Ring equals 1,5 of Sauron rather than just 1 Sauron, if you get my meaning You sacrifice a bit of your power, store it in an item, if you wish, but in return, it would amplify your power - with the risk that if you lose it, then too bad.

Saruman had been researching Ring-lore, he had been interested in making his own Rings, we know about that. If he could create a ring which would make Saruman with a Ring equal to 1,001 Saruman, I think he would still be happy about achieving that. But who says Saruman's ring had to work the same way as the One Ring? The One was very special. But the Elves, Dwarves etc. had Rings with many different and special abilities. For example Thrór's ring "bred gold" (whatever that means, I am imagining bringing some sort of "merchant's luck"), Galadriel's likely helped to preserve Lórien, Elrond's helped him command the river. So why should not Saruman have created something like that?

So I must certainly disagree about that it would "lead to no specific benefit" for him. Besides, he was a Ring-nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantyr View Post
I'm not sure, when Gandalf or Saurman use power, if one can say for certain how much is the wizard, how much the staff, and how much the ring. Some writers are highly specific in the mechanics of their magic. Tolkien, not so much.
Definitely. But there is some vague way in which we could say, for example, "the staff increased his power". In the same sense, we can't even state exactly how did the One Ring influence Sauron's power, but we know that he was much more powerful with it than without it, and we know e.g. that the owner of the Ring had the power over the other Rings.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote