Thread: Beorn
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
My problem with that theory is that I don't think the powers of the Istari could be taught to others.
Their powers could not be taught or transferred, but Tolkien does state that magic (such as the power of the Istari or the Elves) and sorcery are two different things. The Witch King was a sorcerer, and if I recall correctly learned the black arts from Sauron before he became a wraith. Tolkien also mentions the occult practices of the Men in the East, which may have had their origins in the Blue Wizards. So it does seem possible for Ainur to teach some kind of "magical" arts to Mortals.

The notion of this being a terrible "sin" on the part of those who do it actually would seem to provide a kind of an explanation for why all the wizards but Gandalf were considered to have fallen away from their mission and never returned to the West. Saruman might very well have tried to teach something of his "voice" skill to Wormtongue, who was remarkably successful in the undermining of Theoden. It was nothing compared to Saruman's own ability, but for a little maggot like Wormtongue, it worked astonishingly well. And Radagast may have meant well in teaching shape-changing to Beorn, but it was wrong nonetheless, and may explain why he never returned to Valinor (he either was not permitted back because of his "sin," or the commission thereof was the first step down a path of self-corruption -- not evil per se, but a path that took him farther and farther away from his greater mission into one more selfish). It's an angle I've never considered before. I need to consider it further....