View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #29
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
If Thorondor is considered a maia then I'll
second him. But his case (and the great eagles in
general) is one of the most ambiguous (which is
saying something for Tollers ) of classifications
in Ea. I lean slightly toward his being a maia, if
Melian could have a child, why not Thorondor? But...
Hmm. But I am not really sure. I guess it would be better to keep them out. Thorondor is probably rather "a spirit from elsewhere", but from where and what, nobody knows. One would say, it is something like a Maia, if not really a Maia, but still - it's a bit like with the Ents - and they certainly were not Ainur, yet were something else than most of the animals or Elves, Men, Dwarves etc. I guess we should leave Thorondor out: otherwise we are partially letting it get close to inviting Dragons into the bunch. So let us just leave them for another time.

Same goes for Ungoliant&co. - I'd side with Eönwë here.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote