View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Day One

The tests being completed and the ordeals well born, the new member of the Valley Forge was welcomed in on the meeting. He did not speak much, but he listened very attentively to the proceedings. They spoke at length of what the Forge’s next actions should be, and the threats related to their occupation.

“There’s dark work being done,” one dwarf said. “The dwarves here are becoming fierce.”

“What do you expect? I say we’ve pushed them too hard, too fast.”

“It’s not our fault. We’re just doing what’s best. We don’t have very much time. Lord Sauron’s messenger will be returning soon – we must have enough dwarves on our side before he returns.”

“You both are on the wrong scent,” a third dwarf observed. He looked dangerous, and his voice was grim as he spoke. He cast a glance about the circle of dwarves. “King Dáin has sent another dwarf to put a stop to us. I’ve heard rumor of him in the streets, but I’ve never gotten a chance to clap eyes on the fellow. If I had, our job would be easy.” He drew his finger across his throat in an unmistakable gesture. "But he’s trickier than the others Dáin has sent. He’s avoided detection while at the same time he’s caused unrest among the dwarves. They’re ready to strike against us, the fools, and I have little doubt it will come to violence.”

“We must take down the King’s dwarf and therefore take away their driving force.”

“How do we do that?”

“Find someone he has had contact with and question them.”

“I know of one. Many of the messages and word has come from her, so I believe she must be in close contact with him. It is Folwren.”

The leader of the Forge drove his fist into his knee as he growled a curse. “We should have dealt with her a long time ago.” He looked about at his dwarves and then nodded in decision. "I and two others will take care of this. Galin Ironfist, this shall be your first mission. Who else? Frer. Good. Come, then.”

Through the dark of night, the three companions stole through the streets of the village. They came to Folwren’s home, a low stone house standing alone. Galin was ordered within. “Use your knife,” they told him. "Make it quiet and swift. We may be in danger here if she is in close contact with the king’s messenger. We will stand watch outside.”

Galin slipped within and found Folwren fast asleep on her bed. He slipped a hand over her mouth and she woke with a gasp. He warned her to be silent and then let her go. “What are you doing here?” she whispered. “Do you not know it is dangerous?”

He nodded his head and said close to her ear, “I am part of the Forge now. I have come with two companions and they have sent me in to kill you.”

There was a long pause and then Folwren murmured. “I see. You must do it, of course. There is no other way.”

“Yes,” was all he said.

“You must find someone to help you in your purpose. Someone you can trust and send ahead to warn people, for you cannot do it yourself.”

“I will try.” He reached beneath the folds of his cloak and drew his dagger. “I am sorry.”

Folrwen took his hand and guided the dagger point above her heart. She looked him straight in the eye. “So that others may be saved, I die. We are both servants of the king, and this is a war that must be fought. Do what you know must be done and do not regret it.”

A moment later, muffled bootsteps crept across the floor of the house and voice whispered in the darkness, “Ironfist! Is it finished?”

“Aye,” he said, aloud. “It is done and I have written the warning.”

The next morning, when a neighboring dwarf found Folwren’s body, he also found a parchment with writing in blood.

She aided the enemy of the Forge, and thus shall be the fate of all who try to stand against us.

Day One has begun.

Alive
Sally
Inzil
Nerwen
Boro
Galadriel
Eruhen
Bom
Glirdan
Finduilas
Rikae