View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #79
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlimFlamSam View Post
In a nut-shell, without my bias; The Silmarillion was never finished because Mr. Tolkien never really wanted to finish it, and it shows when reading it.
I disagree. I don't think it was Tolkien's goal to complete a book for the sake of completing it. He never wrote books for people to like them; he wasn't like the many modern authors writing what the audience expects them to. JRRT wrote what he thought was the right thing to write, not something that would "catch".

JRRT never made it his goal to finish The Sil, that's true. But one of his goals was to make his writings right. New ideas kept comming, and, as you well know, Tolkien was not an Elf.

You can see that The Sil was unfinished, but, personally, I never had the feeling that JRRT "didn't want to finish it". He didn't want to complete it until he was sure everthing was right, true, but that's different from what you say.

I will add myself to those asking you to quote others differently (like I did above). It makes posts much easier to read.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlimFlamSam View Post
Nerwen spoke: [he's just trying to pick fights. It's obvious.]
And... you'd be wrong again, on both counts.
Well, it sure seems to me that Nerwen is right in this one. Maybe you can try phrasing your thoughts differently, so that we'll see that we're wrong?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-04-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote