View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #177
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I wonder more why Tolkien decided to give William that surname in the first place! Why a surname? And of all the possibilities he comes up with Huggins! Now really...
Well, and why not? You could ask the same way, why a name, in the first place? This, if nothing else, implies the reoccurance of first names among Trolls. One was Bill the Goat-Eater, another was Bill Two-Tooth, another one was Bill Huggins. It does not necessarily imply a family name, although... hmm... a Huggins clan... "Clan of the Red Claw!" "Clan of the Stone!" "Clan of Huggins!" Now, really...

Well, at least you can be glad he wasn't called Bill Noggins

Oh, and actually... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Huggins

I think the time of his life implies that Tolkien might have been well informed about him...

Quote:
I think he was always the mere nobody standing for a role there had to be. A goblin king living under the mountains could have been a formidable character but GG is not.
Well, it's not that bad... he has one or two interesting quotes, like "Murderers and friends of Elves!" and "Throw them into the pits full of snakes!", which beats Legolas from the movies, but
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote