View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 08:50 PM   #9
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oro, I tried to respond earlier but I had a tech problem with my computer at work.<P>I disagree. Tolkien would not have lobbied against the making of the movie. <P>He was an honorable man, sold the movie rights, and would have felt honor-bound to let them make the movie they paid for. Of course.<P>He would have hated the extra notoriety.<BR>Friends would have insisted he see it, and I think curiousity would have drawn him. (He and Christopher Tolkien are two very different personalities.)<P>He would respectfully not have made any public for or against. Out of sheer politeness. <P>But given his perfectionistic tendencies, he would have had a mental list of how he thought things should have been done.<P>I think he would have been pleased with the scenery in New Zealand, the care taken with the sets and costumes. I think he would have found the actors satisfactory (Frodo was perhaps a bit young, though he was to look like a hobbit just out of his tweens). <P>But wherever dialogue was added or changed.. well, no writer likes to be edited, no matter what they may say.<P> Maril