View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 06:13 PM   #8
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
"Terrorism is happening, there are evil governments," says Sawyer. "People are looking for a simplicity in their fictional worlds where good and evil are clearly delineated, that you can't find in the real world, and that provides an enormous comfort -- and that, I think, has an awful lot to do with the reason fantasy is so popular."
As much as other people may disagree with the above statement, I must admit that it rings true in my case. As I pointed out the other day to my English teacher, there is nothing wrong with escapism (he's anti-Tolkien, preferring realism, such as found in works by Steinbeck or Hemmingway), and my life currently needs that outlet.

In literature, there are 'good guys' and there are 'bad guys'. The good guys fight for a noble cause, while the bad guys are... for lack of better word: bad. The struggle against each other, and usually, the good guys win. Occasionally they don't, however there is always a visable difference between both sides of the spectrum. Grey areas, indeed, are present, but there is always a clear "right" involved.

In life, it is not so simple. Good people sometimes do bad things. There may or may not be people who are truly "bad", simply misguided, troubled, confused, etc. Simple choices can turn a 'good' person 'bad' at the drop of a hat, whether they know it or not. In life, outside factors much affect a person's state of mind and decision making capabilities. Nobody is inherently evil (I still can't find that blasted thread to link to), and so you cannot simply say "I am good, and my enemy must therefore be evil."

Because of this lack of distinction between what is right and wrong, it makes a nice escape from a very confusing life to be able to dive into a book where decisions are made and good triumphs over evil. When you cannot fight your own enemies (literal, or figurative), it is a comfort to read about 'bad guys' getting pounded. For example: it is very nice right now to read Shatterglass by Tamora Pierce, and see the bad guys brought to justice by good people who work hard to stay that way. And Fea laughs quietly to herself, for managing, once again, to stay on topic AND promote Pierce's work.

Fea