View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #31
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
We are sometimes accused of being a cold people - we aren't - but I think there is a capacity to get on with practical things and save the tears for later....
Can I just add that I'm glad that (so far) we haven't had the kind of embarrassing nonsense that followed in the wake of Diana's death - its not 'us' somehow to react in that way. I don't think its that we've grown 'used' to that kind of thing, just that we have our own way of dealing with such things - we feel things but don't have to shout our feeling sfrom the rooftops. Bb's point about the stoicism of Sam & Frodo is perhaps relevant. I'm also reminded of the difference between Theoden's reaction to the death of his son in the books as opposed to the movie. There seemed to be a need in the movie to have Theoden break down in tears in order to show his feelings. I think his grief was shown in the books much more subtly through his actions, which is the way we tend to do it..

(my attempt to keep this 'Tolkien'..... )
davem is offline   Reply With Quote