Thread: Gandalf's Ring
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Michel Delving

Pipe Gandalf's Ring

This may be a duplicate topic but I don't think so.

I was reading in the UT the quest for Erebor. Where Gandalf was explaining to Gimli and Frodo how things led to this point,
Gimli asks him (regarding how the ring of power was found and Smaug defeated.)

" But who wove this web? I do not think that I have ever cosidered that before. Did you plan all this then, Gandalf? If not then why did you lead Thorin Oakenshield to shuch an unlikely door? To find the Ring and bring it far away into the West for hiding, and then to choose the ringbearer -and to restore the Mountain Kingdom as mere deed by the way: was that not your design?"

Gandalf then explains that at the time he knew that everything was "meant to happen" But seems himself not to really know how all of his forboding proved right.

My question is this,

Since Gandalf wore the ring of fire, did he have some sort of connection to the one ring. In the sillmarillion it says, of the three rings, that they (the Elves) were aware of Sauron as soon as he put the (one) ring on.

Could it be that since he had the ring he perceived more of the one ring than even some of the very wise, mainly Saruman?

I'm open to any opinions on this

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: Michel Delving ]