View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 03:31 AM   #39
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
Luthien.
Wow, that's such a flawless argument, I don't know how I'm not convinced. Which one is the sarcastic smilie?
Quote:
On my chart, the winning elf was Feanor.
Recommended viewing: Dead Poets' Society. Robin Williams would tear your page out of his book. Begone, J. Evans Pritchard!

When you talk about the greatness of an elf, I think of the greatness of their deeds. Not of their beauty, or their innate skill, but of what they accomplished and the choices that they made. So I rule out the Vanyar at the start, because in my opinion they didn't really do much. At least, not that we hear about. Just worshipped well and properly and looked nice. Good for them.

Finrod Felagund was probably the most noble of the elves to return to the Hither Lands, judging by his deeds with Maedhros, Beren and the first men to come west. But I think that the importance of Elrond is vastly underappreciated. Rivendell is an important sanctuary and stronghold long after other realms have perished. The Last Homely House. It served as a base for armed forays into Eriador, as the home of Aragorn and of the legacy of the kings of Gondor and Arnor, and provided sanctuary to the Ringbearer, and also the ring-finder. Not Gollum, the other guy. I think without a place to harbour the knowledge and the people that Rivendell did, Sauron would have rocked everyone's world. Elrond. Greatest. Forgive me, Professor.