Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #249
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
He wanted creatures to love and to be loved by. Everything, absolutely everything originates and hinges on this most central aspect of who God is, according to the Hebrew and Christian traditions. This is NOT way off topic because precisely the same motivation is to found in Eru. Why else does anyone create anything? For the sheer love (and joy) of seeing the thing do what it was meant to do, which in the case of God/Eru, was delight in all that is/was/shall be.
Not sure if this places me in the skeptic, cynic or 'just to be a pest' group, but why does an omniscient being have need or a want of anything? It's like God is 100% and yet isn't complete or needs something else.

Quote:
I think it would be more appropriate to say that Manwe is Viceroy in Arda, and Elbereth/Varda Viceroyess (if there's such a word).
Maybe someone can help me out here with some back up text, but I thought that Manwë was Eru's CEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
I think I've missed where this tangent started...what point are you trying to make?
Point!?! As can be seen in my SbS posts, any point that I happen to make can be attributed to random chance...

Anyway, this tangent (or at least the one in my mind) started when I pondered foreknowledge in Arda and in the Christian world. After that, we looked at angels/ainur, and then other minutia.