View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Different rules and different people. No matter how close the Dúnedain resembled the Elves ["in all things more like to the First-born than any other of the kindreds of Men", Sil, p. 321], they were not Elves and had different fates. However, "A land was made for the Edain to dwell in, neither part of Middle-earth nor of Valinor, for it was sundered from either by a wide sea; yet it was NEARER to Valinor." [pp. 320-321] Though mortal they were given a place closer to the immortals than any people. It does seem that for many long life did breed this desire for immortality as they found much delight in the world. I'd say the Dúnedain were being the selfish ones. They were granted great gifts, and still were jealous of the fate of another people. As a result, in wanting more, they lost much, their long life and other gifts although for the purer Dúnedain in the 3rd Age these other gifts still seemed to be common among them. I cannot see those Elves thinking about themselves here, they still came secretly to the island to see the Faithful when the Kings were against them.