View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #34
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
But, Alfirin, if this hypothetical plan had "actually worked", Denethor would in fact have turned traitor, right?
Yes, had it worked, he would have. The situation as it actually turned out in the scenario I suggested requires Sauron actually either overestimating Denethor's resilience (assuming that Denethor's pride and determination to see his rule continue NO MATTER WHAT would galvanize him to levels of hidden inner strength it turned out he just didn't have anymore) or underestimating just how deeply Denthor was committed to NEVER giving in to the enemy no matter the cost.
I merely put the above as a possible scenario; a reason why it might have been in Sauron's interest to have shown Denethor events as they
actually were in Umbar, as opposed to how Denethor might have logically expected them to be (i.e. Umbar just fine, and the corsairs themselves in the boats heading up the Anduin)
Heck, for all I know, Sauron could have show Denthor Aragorn and STILL intended Denthor to off himself. He might have just hoped Denthor's pride would drive him to play dog in the manger and set the whole CITY on fire as his pyre, rather than see it fall into hands other than his own, regardless of whom.
I also admit that the scenario also has one other flaw as events stand, it requires Denthor to be so deep in his pride he is willing to actually lie to Gandalf and possibly put the city in more jeopardy (in the scenario Denethor would know it was Aragorn on the ships; and that they will get there eventually (whether in vain or not) so telling Gandalf they are enemies accoplishes nothing except spite him.)
I just merely wished to suggest that as Sauron 1. Might though is own Palantir viewing know of what Aragorn did. 2. Is not above using guile as well as brute force might concoct a way to spin this possibly significant setback in his plans (With a large part of the people of Umbar of Black Numenorean decent, I imagine Sauron might consider them "elites" among those who serve him, and their loss as a blow of note) into an advantage.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote