View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #21
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

FerniesApple has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I believe that Denethor could and did resist Sauron for a good while. However, his mental defense couldn't have lasted too long. I don't think he gave away too much information over the years of using the Palantir. He was weakened by the end - but that's because of all his previous hard-won victories. Aragorn isn't the only strong-willed guy around.

What happened to "Shire... Baggins..."? Sauron knew a hobbit had the Ring for a long time. Furthermore, how is this relevant? Sauron saw Pippin when the said hobbit looked into Saruman's Palantir, much before he came to Minas Tirith. And either way, how does the Ring itself tie in?
I think Sauron let Denethor use the palantir because it suited him, he didnt need to overpower Denethor, just keep him dangling for more information. Sauron would have known Denethor was using the palantir but kept him there like a mouse in front of a large cat, playing with him.

As for Pippin I got confused with the palantir of Saruman, but I just assumed when Sauron saw Pippin he didnt know it wasnt a Baggins he was looking at, just a Hobbit.
FerniesApple is offline   Reply With Quote