View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Juicy-Sweet
Animated Skeleton

Juicy-Sweet has just left Hobbiton.
I see more sources of pleasure in Gollum

1: The pleasure of satisfying one's curiosity. He travelled for 76 years. A lot of it evidently spent in places not related to "Baggins Shire". For instance, he hardly expected to find the Shire in Shelob's cave which he mush have visited in this period.

I can only make sense of this by picturing him as a fellow thinking "whoa there's a vave, I wonder what's down there?" and then go look. Peddling around in Shelob's lair for no particular reason, it's only something vevy curious (and courageous) explorer-types would do.

2: He seems also to take pleasure in PRIDE, in thinking about how good he or smart he was in handling difficult situations plus how good his skills are at sneaking and escaping and such.

To me he also seems to take pride in knowing secrets no one else knows - it makes him special you know

"Swamp. Yes, yes. Come master, we will take you on safe paths through the mist. Come hobbits come. Real quickly. I found it, I did. The way through the marshes. Orcs don’t use it, orcs don’t know it. They go round for miles and miles, come quickly, swift and quick as shadows we must be."

"Orcs don't know it" instead of "there's no orcs there" seems to me to mean "orcs are stupid and gollum is smart, GOD am i clever!"

I think there are two similar quotes about Cirith Ungol but I don't have a LOTR copy with me. Once he mentions is'a VERY secret stais but hey guys, guess who knows about it? ME, gollum!

(as for the connection between Gollum and sex mentioned in this thread: YEECH! lol)
Juicy-Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote