View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumhalad2 View Post
Conversely, they have assumed religious authors like Tolkien are incapable of moral nuance. Compared to Tolkien, Anderson apparently displays "grimness", which apparently makes his moral vision more complex (even though Tolkien can be just as grim, at times). I have yet to read a good humanist fantasy, but I think Tolkien actually comes closer than Moorcock and those like him.
Any book that is remotely related to Epic Fantasy and sells well is compared to Tolkien's works. It usually goes something like 'the best thing since Tolkien' or 'better than Tolkien'. I've even heard both at the same time, strangely; George R.R. Martin is called 'The American Tolkien' and at the same time is hailed as having a much better grasp on reality than Tolkien

Also, I think Tolkien's usual moral straightforwardness was more due to the fact that he was seeking an outlet for his pent-up frustration pertaining to the Great War than the fact that he was Catholic. I admit though, that his religious affiliations would also have affected his works.

As for Tolkien's lack of grimness: the reviewers seriously need to read The Children of Hurin.