View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 10:14 AM   #19
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Tolkien

A fascinating topic. ^^

I have a list of four or five books that are my comforts and retreats. LotR, the Fionavar Tapestry, the Last Herald Mage trilogy (yes, mere sword and sorcery fantasy . . .the heresy of it all!), His Dark Materials . . .these are the books to whom I go when stressed, overwhelmed or simply angry.

They're also the books that profoundly altered me. LotR . . .well, in several other topics I've said that it's quite simply always been a part of my life. Fionavar and HDM . . .heh. Suffice it to say that these two books are intrinsically and inseperably linked to my own spirituality and religious choices. LHM trilogy . . .ah. I'm not sure that I can explain the huge attitudinal shift I went through in the process of reading that book.

Apart from the sheer greatness of these books, however, is also the times in which I was reading them. LotR will always take me back to being five, six and seven again, curled up under my covers in a half-hypnotized state by my father's voice (my father is an excellent story reader), images of the story flitting before my eyes. These images evolved as I grew older--my first visual of an orc resembled a pumpkin with legs and a head and a snarl--but they were always there, almost tangible as I fell asleep.

Fionavar links to finally discovering that yes, it is possible for a twelve year old with a university-level ability to read to have friends. HDM, I remember a particular teacher who encouraged me to read them. LHM was the first link between me and my absolute best friend.

So I'll reread Tolkien for pleasure, for details, for escapism, for all those reasons mentioned above. I'll also reread Tolkien--and Kay, and Pullman, and Lackey--to be able to recapture those feelings, however visceral, of safety and love.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Naaramare ]

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote