View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I was but 4 years old when I fell in love with LotR. Surely that counts?
Yes, you were 4 years old, all too small. You always said it was scary and wanted Dad to stop reading when it became interesting... (On a slightly more serious note, I think a very amusing occasion was when our dad was reading the chapter The Stairs in Cirith Ungol and she was scared and asked Dad to stop reading just a little while before Frodo says: 'You and I, Sam, are stuck in the worst places of the story, and it is all too likely that some will say at this point: "Shut the book now, dad; we don't want to read anymore."' It was amazing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
And maybe it was for the best: I felt that I AM the authority among my friends who had some knowledge about Tolkien and that was a thing I liked
Now that is a familiar feeling... I loved both telling my friends about LotR and seeing them starting to like it but never rivalling my enthusiasm and I also loved to brainwash my sister to like stupid races or characters - it was so annoying if someone had the same favourite as me, because they were my favourites.

Besides, now I even recall about half of the girls in my class playing "Gollum-tag" in our school yard. The chaser was Gollum and other people were fish and one person was The Ring and Gollum tried to catch them all, but especially The Ring. The rules really didn't make any sense, but hey, I was probably eight or something when I made it up and I'm quite proud of getting so many people playing it with me. And my poor best friend, she was always laughing so much at my Gollum-imitations that I caught her pretty often...

This thread seems to be turning into an unofficial nostalgia thread...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote