View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #17
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Some Pretty Standard Ones

I can say "hello" in Elvish.

I studied Dwarvish runes so I could write secret messages in them.

I have corrected friends, acquaintances and almost total strangers when they make mistakes in Tolkien lore. (Example: "It's pronounced SOUR-on, not SORE-on.")

Somewhat Dorkier Things I Have Done

I have drawn maps of places for which Tolkien does not provide enough detail for my liking (Edoras, the lands south of the Shire, etc)

I wrote a short story in which I appear, as myself, called by the Valar as an emissary from the future so that I can be present at the Coronation of Aragorn to give him greetings on behalf of the later Ages of Men.

And Finally: The Dorkiest Thing I Have Ever Done (Tolkien-Related Or Not)

When I was a teenager I spent one weekend camping in the woods a few miles from my house pretending to be Aragorn the Ranger watching over the Shire. I had a full costume including a fake sword (broken one foot above the hilt), I slept in a bedroll rather than a tent, and I paid a visit to the place where my father Arathorn had been slain to erect a cairn in his memory. I also did some pining for Arwen (not hard, since at the time I was in love with a dark-haired girl who was too good for me....).

Bb: you really shoulda bought the shirt.