View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 04:00 PM   #50
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
More things which make me think of Middle Earth.

When my Dad rings me up and says "Do you want me to fetch yer some taters and cabbage from the farm shop?" I always think of Hobbits, naturally.

Whenever I eat lovely butter shortbread I think of Lembas.

On Monday evening, after the clocks had 'gone back' it was twilight when I left for home. My car was covered in a deep drift of huge golden sycamore leaves which flew off in great flurries when I set off. I always think everything sparkles with the first signs of winter, and I feel a sense of excitement. Once the Christmas decorations are up in the shops, it not only makes me think of Middle Earth, but also, strangely, of John Betjeman! I have moved to a new area at work, overlooking a miserable courtyard; it is only enlivened by the appearance of the crows who roost in the forlorn tree in the middle. But on Monday it took on a new appearance. As the lights came on with the twilight, I looked out to see a towering cliff face, the windows sparkling in the gloom. It was quite monumental and almost noble - but I'd die if anyone at work heard me say that. Another new thing which reminds me of Middle Earth is my manager's guide dog - we have started calling him 'Bill' after the infamous pony!

I saw toffee apples the other day, and these are always something I imagine Hobbit children eating - and then having to visit the Hobbit dentists to attend to broken milk teeth.