View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
I'm not sure there was one single custom. I suspect it was different among the Sindar, the Exiled Noldor, in Valinor, and probably very different between the First and Third ages.
In principle I'm inclined to agree, and LaCE is pretty clear that it mostly applies to Aman. However, I don't think Tolkien likely came up with more than one image of what it would be like, so any references probably refer to one specific design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
I could see the Noldor of Gondolin going for the bling. This culture revolved around the works of their hands almost as much as that of Eregion. The Sindar, something much simpler and nature oriented. The chastened Noldor of Frodo's time, possibly a back-to-basics ethos (like we saw with Gildor's company- although Gildor apologized for his "rustic" hospitality).
I do disagree quite strongly with the bolded part, though. In principle, yes - but the sole piece of evidence we have for what an Elvish wedding would actually look like comes from Gondolin, and speaks to simplicity, not ornamentation.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote