View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Quote:
I think Boromir is quite keenly representative of that image of the decay of civilisation present in the text and I do think his death is suggestive of the dangers of that decay.
Do you think this is a point Tolkien intended to convey?
It seems quite certain that Tolkien intended this connection. In the words of Faramir:

Quote:
'For so we recon Men in our lore, calling them High... Men of Twilight, such as are the Rohirrim... and the Wild, the Men of Darkness.
...For as the Rohirrim do, we now love war and valour as things good in themselves... so even was my brother, Boromir...' The Window on the West
As for my first reading of the death of Boromir I did not find it so shocking. I had the impression he was somewhat bigger, grumpier and more uncouth than Jackson'/Bean's Boromir. Back then I was not familiar with the images of the dress customs of Middle Earth and I imagined him more like Beorn; less armour and accoutrements, more wild looking.
Also his argument for taking the Ring to Minas Tirith made him seem like a small town man whose first concern was with 'me and mine' rather than the 'big picture.'
I think it may only have been reading Aragorn's and Faramir's accounts of him that made me see him in a more sympathetic light.