Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
However, I know that there are dyed-in-the-wool Boromir fans out there, so I am curious. Are there readers out there who did find Boromir’s death surprising or is Boromir’s death just something that you take for granted?~Kuru
Surely, you don't mean me? But seriously, I had found Boromir's movie portrayal to be more sympathetic than the book. Well, that is until TTT extended edition, which sort of spoiled everything by making Denethor send Boromir out as some kind of secret agent to undermine the Council and bring the Ring to Gondor.

As you said, in the books he comes off as a braggert...boasting his own strength and importance. He's the antagonist within the Fellowship, always arguing what road to take, boasting the strength of Gondor and having no heed of the rest of Middle-earth resistance against Sauron, and one who ultimately fell to his own personal glory. He takes after his father in believing he's the appointed one who saves Gondor in this time.

In the FOTR movie, we can see more of his struggle with the Ring and how he bonds with other members of the Fellowship. As the 'leaders' blankly stand around after being beaten by Caradhras (or well...Saruman's conjured storms) it is Boromir who thinks about the hobbits. Boromir's light-hearted sword training scene with Merry and Pippin was neat. And after Gandalf's death it is Boromir who says "give them a moment for pity's sake" as Aragorn prods everyone to keep moving. These arguably conflict with Boromir in the books, but I was never bothered by it. (The annoyance comes in the deviation taken in TTT EE).

As someone mentioned previously, it's really how other characters seem to regard Boromir, and only after his death when you really only find sympathy for him in the books (if you even can). Zigur mentioned a comparison to Eomer, and it's interesting, because Eomer says after learning of Boromir's death:

Quote:
"Great harm is this death to Minas Tirith, and to us all. That was a worthy man! All spoke his praise. He came seldom to the Mark, for he was ever in the wars on the East-borders, but I have seen him. More like to the swift sons of Eorl than to the grave Men of Gondor he seemed to me, and likely to prove a great captain of his people when his time came."~The Riders of Rohan
And I believe it is Pippin, when seeing Faramir, is reminded of Boromir's "kindness." Now, this only comes after Boromir's death and it may seem more like a eulogy that shows respect by others not wanting to trash someon who has died. (Remember too, Aragorn doesn't tell Gandalf the full tale of Boromir's death. What he withholds isn't told, but it's always intrigued me that Aragorn withholds part of the story even to Gandalf).

So, I can see how just reading the story, beginning to end (and especially first time as a young teen) Boromir reads as a "he did something wrong and got what was coming to him." However, I think too much of the focus gets put on his act of redemption and trying to protect Merry and Pippin. This in turn, possibly makes it seem like Boromir's act is suicidal. He's just throwing himself to a horde of orcs in an attempt to atone for his betrayal. However, I don't believe that to be the case.

After trying to seize the Ring from Frodo, Boromir returns to the camp, where the rest of the Fellowship finds out Frodo is missing. Boromir doesn't disclose his full part, of which Aragorn makes note, but Aragorn also commands:

Quote:
"Boromir! I do not know what part you have played in this mischief, but help now! Go after those two young hobbits, and guard them at the least, even if you cannot find Frodo. Come back to this spot, if you find him, or any traces of him."~The Breaking of the Fellowship
This is the first time, that I can recall, without any reluctance or arguing, Boromir accepts orders. He follows after Merry and Pippin and guards them. And the account given by Pippin doesn't fit with someone trying to die:

Quote:
Then Boromir had come leaping through the trees. He had made them fight. He slew many of them and the rest fled. But they had not gone far on the way back when they were attacked again, but a hundred Orcs at least, some of them very large, and they shot a rain of arrows: always at Boromir. Boromir had blown his great horn till the woods rang, and at first the Orcs had been dismayed and had drawn back; but when no answer but the echoes came, they had attacked more fiercely than ever.~The Uruk-hai
He was following what Aragorn commanded, to guard the two young hobbits. And after beating off the first attack, had tried to make his way back, but they were attacked again. For the 2nd time, Boromir attempts to drive the Orcs off, this time blowing his horn, but again it's not long before the Orcs attack. The account just doesn't read as Boromir charging into death, but attempting to guard the hobbits.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote