Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Even though I struggle with sympathy with the character, I am in complete agreement that Boromir should be forgiven his failing. From the tone of the other characters (especially Aragorn) they clearly had sympathy for the trial Boromir had endured.
Since Frodo later says that even Gollum merited forgiveness (after committing myriad more vile deeds than did Boromir), I agree that Boromir's death was not necessarily a punishment. Perhaps it accomplished the greater purpose of removing Boromir as a threat to the Quest (which he had clearly become), as well as releasing him from the Ring's grip. This idea is somewhat reminiscent of Isildur's death. He was even more firmly in its power than was Boromir, and could have wrought great harm as a Ring-lord. Both he and Boromir were possibly eliminated as threats to a greater perspective, and at the same time both delivered from the Ring's power forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I always kind of had the impression (possibly mistaken) that Boromir despaired and suicided by orc. However, as I have said, I have a rather negative impression of the character.
No, I don't think he committed suicide. I see his death as more of a simple desire to do something positive to compensate for his attack on Frodo, with a lack of fear that he could die. He doesn't strike me as being very fearful of death, anyway.