Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
I think Pride was cultivated in Boromir as he was clearly the favorite son and probably always praised
Undoubtedly. Somehow for me he has always read as something of a braggart and thus not a terribly sympathetic character. While I don't any longer view Boromir's death as comeuppance for his attempt to take the Ring from Frodo, I do still struggle with feeling sympathy for the character. I think for me personally, this mitigates to some extent feelings of sadness or shock I would feel for a more sympathetic character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
I got the impression, and still do, that Boromir was not to be blamed for what he did, he was to be forgiven.
Even though I struggle with sympathy with the character, I am in complete agreement that Boromir should be forgiven his failing. From the tone of the other characters (especially Aragorn) they clearly had sympathy for the trial Boromir had endured.

Quote:
He probably genuinely thinks he has the strength and right to decide on what happens to the Ring, and furthermore is driven by either jealousy or a need to 'prove' himself against Aragorn
This is a very good point, though to me it points up his unwillingness to listen to others, even if it makes his actions understandable.

Quote:
As a side point, my take on Ned Stark is that he put too much stock in his precious 'honour' and as a result left his own children vulnerable - he's not the heroic figure he is often thought to be, but stubborn.
I agree to a large extent. However, he could still have salvaged the situation if he had left town when he had originally wanted to or if he hadn't relied on Littlefinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
But the qualities everyone admired in Faramir returned for Boromir when he willingly gave up his life.
I always kind of had the impression (possibly mistaken) that Boromir despaired and suicided by orc. However, as I have said, I have a rather negative impression of the character.