Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
One character with whom I would like to compare Boromir is Éomer. Both are great champions of their people and of high position. Note that when the Ring is debated in the last council Éomer remarks that "I have little knowledge of these deep matters; but I need it not. This I know, and it is enough, that as my friend Aragorn succoured me and my people, so I will aid him when he calls." (LR p.862) Fortunately for the Men of Rohan, none of them had to be around the Ring, but I think at least that it is indicative of something, because Boromir is described as being more like one of the "Middle Men", but Éomer, indisputably a "Middle Man" is, to me, more accepting of his place in the scheme of things. Boromir, however, derived from a higher origin, which may have been a source of pride, but not of understanding.
Very interesting. I had never thought of comparing Eomer and Boromir in that context before. Do you think Eomer would have had such an understanding? From what he says I am not sure he does. From his relatively more “comfortable” situation regarding the Ring, I think he is able to follow the “lower” impulse of supporting his friends.

Quote:
I think Boromir is quite keenly representative of that image of the decay of civilisation present in the text and I do think his death is suggestive of the dangers of that decay.
Do you think this is a point Tolkien intended to convey?

Quote:
I have heard the view in many quarters that Boromir was more sympathetic in the films, but I never really felt that way. I almost feel as if Sean Bean's portrayal makes him feel more unpleasant, not less, but that's just a personal response.
I agree that Sean Bean’s portrayal of Boromir made him feel a bit more unpleasant. The filmmakers did a few things to amp up the antagonism of the Boromir character. However, I don’t find that to be out of line with the spirit of what Tolkien wrote as my impression of Boromir was always that he was a bit fishy.

Other people in the stories seem to have had a higher impression of Boromir than I ever did (Eomer is a good example). I think in LOTR Boromir didn't have his best foot forward.