Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was 10 when I first read The Lord of the Rings and I don't seem to remember finding Boromir's death very affecting either, although I blame that largely, like you, on being a child who thought he was a bad guy getting what he deserved. These days I find his death a good deal more tragic because of his being put through "too sore a trial" (as Faramir described it) with the Ring; he wanted "strength to defend ourselves, strength in a just cause." And I believe him when he said that, because I think he had good motives, just as Gandalf said that the Ring's way to his own heart would be through pity. Unlike Gandalf, Elrond and later Galadriel, however, Boromir could not accept that the means would have been evil. Unlike the Wise, Boromir had never had the time or experience to develop that fatalistic "what will happen will happen" attitude to mitigate a sense of despair in the face of seemingly unconquerable evil. He was a lordly man and a great soldier, and was limited, perhaps, in his perspective, thinking that this fundamentally spiritual crisis was, like the usual challenges he faced in his life, something which could be resolved through physical mastery and weapons. I find him very pitiable now, and I think his rationalisation of desire to seize the Ring in the Breaking of the Fellowship is heavily mitigated with undertones of confusion and frustration at his own impotence in this particular scenario and his limited understanding of the higher metaphysical threat posed by Sauron and the Ring.

One character with whom I would like to compare Boromir is Éomer. Both are great champions of their people and of high position. Note that when the Ring is debated in the last council Éomer remarks that "I have little knowledge of these deep matters; but I need it not. This I know, and it is enough, that as my friend Aragorn succoured me and my people, so I will aid him when he calls." (LR p.862) Fortunately for the Men of Rohan, none of them had to be around the Ring, but I think at least that it is indicative of something, because Boromir is described as being more like one of the "Middle Men", but Éomer, indisputably a "Middle Man" is, to me, more accepting of his place in the scheme of things. Boromir, however, derived from a higher origin, which may have been a source of pride, but not of understanding. I think Boromir is quite keenly representative of that image of the decay of civilisation present in the text and I do think his death is suggestive of the dangers of that decay.

As for Boromir being created to be killed off, the drafts do suggest that the idea of his corruption was a relatively early conception. In a sketch of future events planned at the time of drafting the Council of Elrond, as seen in The Treason of Isengard, Professor Tolkien conceived at one point of Boromir going with Aragorn to Minas Tirith before he "sneaks off" in his corruption to join forces (somewhat tellingly) with Saruman! (p. 210) However, at the end of this plan Boromir was killed, but only at the end of the story, and by Aragorn, no less (p. 212), instead, apparently, of him repenting.

I have heard the view in many quarters that Boromir was more sympathetic in the films, but I never really felt that way. I almost feel as if Sean Bean's portrayal makes him feel more unpleasant, not less, but that's just a personal response.

"Overhyped" is a term I would use to describe A Game of Thrones in general (I've only read the first book, never seen the show).