View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #318
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
D3, 4599 Valian time

The Maiar woke up to realize that the spell was gone. But there was the tumult of war up upon them. Some flashes of lighting even penetrated the vastness of the structures above them and for seconds lighted the hall of the dungeon they had been living for the last decades. More frightening than that though was the shaking of the grounds of the mountain itself which shook the floor and sent huge pieces of rock tumbling down the darkness. They couldn’t see the boulders approaching until the very last moment, but they could hear them. And when they fell the impacts deafened their ears.

“Pull back! Pull back!” Manwë cried.

“Retreat to the corridors!” Aganzir yelled.

“Everyone to safety!” Inzil wailed.

“We’ll be free?” Nessa whispered to herself, standing like hypnotized in the middle of the Hall, until Rikae pulled her back from the hailstorm of boulders raining down on them.

Fire and brimstone indeed.

Suddenly there was a loud and deep crack, filling the air from the lowest pitches none of them could hear to the very highest over their capabilities of perception. Something above them trembled, sending a number of smaller rocks and dust on them… then everything started shaking for real. With a loud boom and then ever thickening screeches something moved on top of them in the darkness… and the voice grew ever louder. The lowest frequencies trembled them bodily from inside.

“Wait! Kitanna!” Legate cried.

“She’s there! In the hall!” Shasta spotted her too.

“Run baby, run!” wilwa begged her.

But Kitanna just stood there. Even in the dim lighting they could see the gleaming tears flowing down her cheeks as she stared at the others – but she didn’t make a move.

There was a loud and low boom somewhere over above them. The walls of the dungeon shook violently throwing the Maiar on their backs.

“I will not use the damned gift of Melkor against you! I’m not ready to kill an innocent!” They heard Kitanna yelling from the distance.

It felt like the end of the world. The roof finally collapsed and came tumbling down. Tons after tons of solid rock fell down and sent a cloud of dust of pulverized stone all over the corridor the prisoners had taken refuge in. The pressure-wave sent them flying tens of meters back in the corridor.

Gathering themselves they could hear some loud crashes and screeches from above, then there was another violent shaking of the whole mountain sending them flying around in the corridor once again. But slowly the bangs died into a deep tremor. And then it was quiet.

It was totally quiet.

~*~

Boro was not sure he was alive or not… but he was conscious. Slowly, to his short-lived relief, he managed to move his hand. I’m not dead, but is that actually better?, he thought to himself. But suddenly, exploring his body with his hand, he came to a parchment in his pocket. He forced himself up and eyed the paper.

“Hey! Everyone! Listen to this! I have the last message from Kitanna in my pocket! She must have slipped it there while I slept…”

He could hear others working their way up in the dim-lit corridor. He read the letter out aloud.

“If a spirit possessed a letter which she knew or believed contained information concerning what she had to consider the blessedness for her being, but the written characters were thin and faded, and the handwriting almost illegible, she would read it and reread it, with anxiety and disquiet certainly, but with passion. At one moment she would get one meaning out of it, the next another. When she was quite sure she had managed to read a word, she would interpret everything in the light of that word. But she would never pass beyond the same uncertainty with which she began. She would stare, more and more anxiously, but the more she stared the less she saw; sometimes her eyes filled with tears, but the more that happened, again the less she saw. In due course the writing would became weaker and less distinct; finally the paper itself would crumble away and she’d have nothing left but eyes blinded with tears.”

That kind of nailed it for everyone.

After a moment’s silence Blind Guardian finally dared to make the obvious question: “Anyone else missing?”

They all looked around. Suddenly Greenie fell on her knees to the floor and started shaking.

“Oh my, Lommy is not here…” Cailín muttered. Legate fell on his knees as well. You traitors kill the two I care about… this is getting personal... he muttered.

“I can’t see Valier either” Boro whispered.

“So their bodies have been buried down under the collapsed mountain?” elrond’s daughter asked looking at the rocky wall that now stood at the end of the corridor, in place of the hall they had retreated from..

“Well, they’re somewhere there…” Aganzir whispered, her voice breaking.

There was a pressing silence.

“So what now?” Mac asked and knew there would be no easy answer to his question.

Greenie stood up and tried to wipe her tears but it was in vain for more poured out uncontrollably. “I’ll sing to my sister” she said her voice trembling, “… and to Valier. You know the Misery song? Anyone? I’ll sing the soprano-solo.”

Eomer, Cailín, Boromir, Macalaure, Rikae, wilwa, Legate and Aganzir arranged themselves around Greenie. And they sang of their misery. They sang from the bottom of their heart’s misery. The narrow corridor echoed with heavenly voices of the Maiar. It seemed that even the dim yellowish light got a little more radiant with the song.

But as the last chord of the song died down in the corridor, it was painfully quiet again.

The living:

Eomer of the Rohirrim - An associate of Ossë, speciality: lochs and ponds, great alliance with frogs
elronds_daughter - A spirit of no-nonsense
Macalaure - Carmótar, the Maia of housework
Shastanis Althreduin - A spirit of water
wilwarin538 - Belongs to Vána, cares for all the small garden dwelling, winged creatures
Nessa Telrunya - The patron of town criers across the world
Pitchwife - Tender of Oromë's dogs
Inziladun - A vassal of Námo, serving as a warden in Mandos
Rikae - A spirit in charge of silicon & static electricity
Boromir88 - A Maia of Mandos, the interpretter of dreams
A Little Green - A spirit in charge of aliens, hummingbirds and farming
Blind Guardian -A spirit of evil ways
Skip Spence - A follower of Aule with an avid interest in behavioural sciences
Mänwe - A spirit of short acquintances
Legate of Amon Lanc - A Maia associated with the unfathomed depths of the world's seas but also with the waters surrounding Arda in the outer space...
Aganzir - Aka. irebeck, a spirit of fire
Caílin - A spirit of secrecy

The dead:

Satansaloser2005 - (Innocent) A spirit of ducks, muffins and cookies; reduced to ashes and dust on D1.
Ozban – (Innocent) Yavanna's underling with inferiority complex. Caretaker of undergrowth and small bushes in general, especially blackberries; ripped to pieces, dried and unintentionally pulverized on N2.
Kath – (Innocent) A spirit of nostalgy; ripped to pieces, dried and unintentionally pulverized on N2.
Loslote - (Innocent) A spirit of sunshine and rainbows; melted down and turned into vapor on D2.
Kitanna - (Hunter) A spirit of all things unimaginative; committed a willful suicide on N3.
Thinlómien - (innocent) A maia who lives in Lórien and paints the dreams of those sleeping there; her destiny was buried with Utumno collapsing over her body on N3.
Valier - (Innocent) A handmaiden of Yavanna, collecting the morning dew from the petals of flowers; her destiny was buried with Utumno collapsing over her body on N3.

Day 3 has begun.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-07-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote