View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #151
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rauthain

Rauthain sat by the flames watching the younger man as he cared for the familiar sword. He marked from beneath his lowered brow, the concentration with which Dúlrain examined and improved upon the tapered edges, by fire's light grinding out the imperfections and dark memories held there. So the heirloom had been hallowed by spilling the blood of the orcs, and by Dúlrain's hand delivered vengeance upon the people of those who had torn it from its master's grip. Glancing at Maethor he hoped in passing that at least this ranger should by some chance escape such a bitter calling as that which linked his two companions. Perhaps Kaldir had been right to resist his father's plea to marry, for the ties of friendship and love had brought sorrow home to many a stalwart ranger before the end of the Third Age. Then a solitary life had seemed the best shield, though one difficult to take up.

Feeling the weight of his gaze, Rauthain saw that Dúlrain now held the sword and considering the two others spoke earnestly. "I am not willing to let him fall into her grasp again, but nor will I try to stop him from trying to retrieve that which she has clearly taken from him! So if our paths should cross know now that this is my set and I will not waver from it! We can not afford to keep things unspoken, she will use it against us."
Rising he sheathed Kaldir's sword. "I will take first watch, who should I wake first?" he said with an attempt at a smile.

"Wake me," Maethor said quietly.

Despite his weariness and the fine meal Rauthain found that he could not sleep. He longed to be moving again, closing the distance between them and those they followed. This unease he found heightened by the presence of Kaldir, an unknown factor in the play of events and living reminder of Rauthain's own failings, the very catalyst who had sparked this single minded drive.

Now pondering Dúlrain's words, he lay on his back trying to decipher his own course in the dark hours of the night. And finding no relief he stood and sought out Dúlrain who sat outside the glow of the dying fire. Rauthain moved to stir up the embers, but Dúlrain stopped him. "Let it be Rauthain," the dark haired ranger said, "there may be unfriendly eyes close by."

"Have you seen anything amiss?" he asked. Dúlrain shook his head as Rauthain sat by him. "Tonight you spoke wisely, Dúlrain," he said. "We can not afford to keep much unspoken, it is true. I have thought much on what you have said and feel that I also must declare my position for we may come to cross-purposes unexpectedly. I am plagued by the thought that Kaldir may yet be in Her grasp, and what then? I have sworn to pursue the Ravennor and if Kaldir is under her sway I will not stop even should he be placed before me. But if he seeks her undoing, as do I, then I will help him even if it means my death. My aim is for Naiore and no other, for while Kaldir may prove beyond our hope, Naiore Dannan is not beyond our justice." Remembering then to whom he was speaking he added, “It is but a slight possibility that such a thing should arise, but be forewarned I long have been fighting and know little of healing, though I do not wish harm to come to him.”

“Let us hope we will not be called upon to make such decisions,” Dúlrain flatly. “Go and rest now while you may.”

Rauthain left him then and lay waiting to be called to watch.

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]