View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #145
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Dúlrain

Dúlrain’s first instinct was to shrug off Rauthain’s sympathetic hand, but as the older man caught his eye, he saw understanding and a reflection of his own guilt and pain. He lowered his head ashamed that he had thought himself above all others in grief, but the pain was too deep for an apology after all if Rauthain had guilt it was founded as was his own. Without a word he slowly turned his horse and began following the trail before them, he felt the others follow; they rode silently for a time speaking only when they dismounted to check the new direction of the trail.

"They went into the woods !" he puzzled when the trail suddenly veered towards the trees, "Why?" he questioned aloud, as he again examined the prints, not those of Naiore and her companions but the hoof prints of Kaldir and his two companions. He could vaguely hear Maethor and Rauthain as they debated Naiores possible cause for change in direction, but Dúlrain was lost in thought as he looked to the darkness of the tall trees. He was in there somewhere a shadow in the darkness a ghost he had called himself, would he really be able to take on The Revennor of Mordor on his own. Do I even know who he is anymore?

Shaking his head sadly he turned back to the others, "we must make camp the horses are tired and I for one have not slept for several nights," not that sleep will come easy this night he thought wearily to himself. "Soon there will be little light in which to follow the trail and torches will only alert our quarry to our presence," He went on seeing Rauthains reluctance, but when the ranger finally nodded his assent the three of them lead their horses under the eaves of the forest.

Putting Dir's reigns into the hands of Maethor he went ahead to scout out a suitable place to make camp, the wood was eerily silent as he moved with ease in and out of the trees and deep brush, it was not quite dark, so he kept a cautious eye. He soon found a spot were the trees thinned just enough to allow for a small camp, but giving adequate cover if needed. He quickly made his way back to the others, and then led them to the modest clearing where they set about seeing to a small fire and some supper.

After hitching the horses and putting oat bags over their noses, He dug a small pit for the fire and filled a small kettle while Maethor went to find something for supper and Rauthain collected the firewood, he then built a makeshift spit, with which to hang the kettle and the rabbits that Maethor soon returned with.

After a supper of roasted rabbit and hot tea, Dúlrain drew Kaldir's sword and examined it against the light of the fire, many orcs fell on this ancient blade in the name of its true owner. As the blade gleamed in the dancing light of the fire, he remembered Kaldir's apparent pain as the sword had stirred memories of old, if the sword did that what would the sight of his tormentor do.

He felt the others looking at him and the sword in his hands. “It’s Kaldir’s,” he whispered without looking up. Instead, he reached into his pack pulling out his wetting stone, “It has taken many orcs in memory of its previous owner,” he continued, spitting on the stone and running it carefully down the edge of the blade. One stroke after another, each slightly heavier than the last, as if he were trying to remove some invisible stain. "But it seems tainted now!" he explained feeling their concerned gaze.

Its vengeance sorely misplaced he thought coolly. Looking up and taking both rangers into his gaze he told them his mind, "I am not willing to let him fall into her grasp again, but nor will I try to stop him from trying to retrieve that which she has clearly taken from him! So if our paths should cross know now that this is my set and I will not waver from it! We can not afford to keep things unspoken; she will use it against us."

He replaced his stone and rising he sheathed Kaldir's sword, "I will take first watch, who should I wake first?" he asked forcing a smile to try lightening the mood after revealing his convictions.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-13-2004 at 08:10 PM.