View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 07:41 AM   #11
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is just a suggestion. I always thought that Tolkien's change in mood from the Hobbit to LotR (where I actually noticed the change) had to do with two factors. 1) The Hobbit was first intended as a children's story. 2) Tolkien gradually works in the world of man. I think, that under it all, Tolkien had an absolute loathing for his own kind, especially in light of post-industrial England and the encroachment of technology and big business on his rather pastoral childhood home. **I really think the change in mood was intentional.**

I like the Shire, because that's the way life is supposed to be. I hate Isengard because that is how our world has turned out.

Aside: I really liked the movie's depiction of Isengard as a degeneration of pristine beauty to scared sadism. This was where I think the movie hit the Tolkien nail squarely on the head.

Edit: I changed my mind about the state in **s. I'm a firm believer in not trying to read into Tolkien what he, himself, didn't intend. He has said that he was not allegorizing. However, I still think it was an unconscious sort of thing.

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Ferny ]