View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 05:03 AM   #4
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

I'm familiar with the facts you bring to light, Tirned Tinnu. In CT's History it's suddenly at Weathertop that Tolkien discovered and unleashed the depth of power we now know to be what LotR is all about.

But there's something different, even yet. The flavor changed, as well as the tone. I don't know what better words to use. I have no problem with the lightness of tone having changed, but I guess I feel that Tolkien lost something, call it the whimsy, the Fae feel, of Goldberry and Old Man Willow and Tom Bombadil; I guess a summation is that it stopped being a Faerie-tale and started being an epic. I don't suppose he could have managed to keep both aspects. It's probably why I like Smith of Wooton Major even more than LotR. Heresy, I know, but that story seems to have been dipped straight from the vat of Faerie with very little additive.

Mark, I almost wish JRRT had left the Sil alone. True, we might not have gotten LotR from him then, but he might actually have WRITTEN more wonderful stuff throughout his life. Ah, well, might have beens, might have beens.