View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #133
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Borgand hurt, and it was more than just his arm. His attack on the large man had been ill-fated. As he approached the giant, another hillman had hit his right arm from behind with the dull end of a spear. This had jarred the arm to the point of numbing his hand and rendered his sword arm useless. It wasn't a permanent injury, but it had kept him out of the thick of the fight, and his pride was hurt. He supposed it was too much to expect that a one-legged man would be able to hold his own in an all-out fight, but he had expected it nonetheless.

He was away from the fighting now, which was still going on in knots around the settlement. Carried away by a men from the settlement after being knocked to the ground by the spear shaft, he had been forbidden to return to the battle, and was too weak to physically overcome the man who was guarding him. He didn't even know what had happened to the giant. Reports were coming in from around the village and they were depressing in the extreme. The hall was gone, he could see that himself. A smouldering pile of rubble was all that remained. And the guards had all been killed, it seemed. No one had seen Calumdril. On the positive side, however, the hillmen had mostly fled, and at least half had been slain. There were few civilian casualties, as well. Most of the women and children had made it out safely. He was just discussing with one of the other soldiers when it would be safe for them to return when he heard his name being called. He turned to see Tane approaching.

"Tane, I'm glad you're here. The fighting seems to be mostly over, but things are still very confused. I could use your help and that of your men to assess the damage and contain the remaining hostilities."

The ranger nodded, "Of course. Were you injured?"

Borgand looked down at his useless arm. "Not seriously, but it does keep me from wielding a sword. I've never felt more in the way."

"Your role is to keep your people focused. There are other people to do the fighting. Still, you are to be admired for wanting to lead your people in battle."

He simply nodded, thanking Tane silently for understanding and not making a big deal of his infirmaries.

"The most important task right now is finding out how badly we were hurt. We lost the hall, but it can be rebuilt. No one has seen Calumdril, and as much as I would like to, I cannot leave to search for him myself. Would you take on this task for me, or assign someone you trust? He may need medical or physical help. He can take care of himself, but this attack caught us all off guard."

"I'll do what I can," the ranger intoned, and turned to go.

Watching him walk away, Borgand felt a stab of envy. The smoke had left an acrid taste on his tongue, but the bitterness of defeat was stronger still. His heart burned within him for justice, fueled all the more by his utter inability to mete out this justice himself.

We'll make these animals pay, somehow, he thought to himself, and was surprised at his own vehemence. Pushing down his anger, he turned back to his personal guard.

"Now, about the women..."