View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #71
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
ArcusCalion, can you be a bit more specific where your stuck? I might be able to post a version of my working copy up to the recent main point of discussion. But that is of course not Aiwendils editing purely but (as far as it has come) the result of the discussion so far.

Aiwendil, re-reading our postings about your idea, I see that it must have been dicouraging for you. I am sorry for that, and I now think in the search for consensus more flexibility is worthwihle. I hope I got your idea of the storyline right:
- The Valar sake Angband and drive the forces of Melkor before them to Utumno
- The Valar set a watch upon Cuivienen.
- The Siege of Utumno with many a battle before the gates
- The Valar brake the Gates (by Orome's horn blow) and Manwe summons Melkor to come out.
- Melkor does not come out and the Valar unroof the Halls of Utumno while Melkor takes refuge in the uttermost pits and lunches his last attack by the Balrogs
- Conversation before the gate with Manwe warning about the demage that a farther open fight could cause and his searching allway for compromise rather than risking violence.
- The Valar lay down their weapons and decent into the pits of Utumno.
- Tulkas steps forward as the champion of the Valar and defeits Melkor.
- Melkor is bound with Angainor, draged out of Utumno and the Vorotemnar and Ilterendi are set upon him (=> Thus Melkor can on the one hand go by himself being followed by Tulkas clincing on the chain of Angainor - implicit holding the end of that chain avoiding Melkor to stray from the path - and later at the council not laying bound by Manwe's feed he can kneel before Manwe.)
- Melkor is led to Valinor
- and the Council to judge Melkor is set up. (He must not lay bound before the chair of Manwe!)
(- The argument of Makar from LT could be given to Melkor himself.)
- After the departure of Tulkas from the council we insert Melkor pleading for pardon and offering help in the repair of evils and hurts he had done. (This would be the only part of MT VI to be taken up into our text.)
- Manwe considering the case from LT.
- Manwe's judgement should be a mixture from LT, AAm and LS.

So I think now your story line idea to take the critcial moment of near repenteance to the council of the Valar juding Melkor's case can work and should be tried.

If you don't find time for the editing of the text, please speak up and I will try my best to work from your idea. If that is the way we go forward, please correct my story line from above if necessary.

Meanwhile I will take MT VI and try to edit in accord with that story line idea to fit our volume 3. I think it will be combined with MT VII. ArcusCalion, MT VII: Notes on Motives in the Silmarillion was one chapter in your draft for volume III. Cab you provide your draft, so that I can see where to fit MT VI?

Respectfully
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 08-17-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote