View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 10:57 PM   #273
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Hullo, indeed, Changling, said Bethberry with some awe and astonishment after being momentarily overwhelmed with the truth she had just been shown.

Come, let's get you lying down on the bed. At first, I thought Holly was to be my patient with a fevered brain and now I find it is you. I must say, you will be easier to treat in this form. Although mayhap it is lucky your injuries occured when you had a, um, thicker skin.

Your stomach pains--are they from injury or strange feeding?

Birdie signified it was what she ate.

Good! Now, let me check your bones. None broken? Arms, legs, ribs? No, just badly bruised, I see. Let me look at your head. That swelling will have to come down. Your eye is blood shot, but not bleeding. For that, be very thankful.

If I treat you as I would treat a woman normally, would you expect any difficulties, any complications?

Birdie shook her head, painfully, no.

Holly, you and I will need to stay up all night with Birdie. With a lump like that to her forehead and her bruised eye, I want to make sure she doesn't fall into a swoon. One of us will need to wake her every half an hour.

For now, can you bring some hot water from the kitchen? Some chamomile tea might help that stomach ache.

Holly nodded yes and flew downstairs to cajole the cook once again. Meanwhile, Bethberry gently wiped Birdie's bruises with tincture of arnica and horsetail. Her face she bathed in a wash of heartsease, for its pleasing scent, and feverfew, for headache, and woollygrass for swelling.

Then, before allowing Birdie to sit up to take the tea which Holly made after returning with the water, Bethberry treated her eye with two small drops of belladonna.

The tea was a welcome warm tonic to Birdie. Bethberry stepped back and took a compassionate look at her.

Holly, do you want the first shift or shall I take it? Holly immediately demanded first shift.

Stay here in my room, then. I'll take yours. Come and get me when the moon begins to fade. Birdie, some day you should meet my father.