View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 07:25 PM   #561
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So I was going through the thread to pull together the Lost Texts. At first I wanted to just memory dump it, I am confident I would get >50% of the lyrics, and more like >80% if you allow minor discrepancies or the occasional older version. I can even recite Nainie, but it would be missing it's accents.

Then I decided that it's better to be systematic and go through the thread to make sure it's the real thing and not "what G55 totally misremembered".

Then I realized that the thread is 14 pages long , and actually reading all of it would take forever. The original drafts are all front-loaded, but the edits have been ongoing and are probably more back-loaded...

So far I came to the compromise of skimming the thread to copy/paste long sections of text, which I then edit by memory to reflect the latest versions. Which still leaves the very likely possibility of me not remembering it properly... but the alternative is actually 14 pages of, let's be honest here, frequently Wall of Text posts. If it needs to happen, I won't actually mind doing it, it's been great fun to skim through our early comments and drafts. It would just take forever and a day. My compromise to the compromise was to comment-select words I am not sure of, that I think were changed but maybe weren't. And we could just review those.

But speaking of our early drafts, good times! That was the first time in my life I stooped to buying instant noodles, because it was either that or eating nothing, as literally all my awake free time was spent on this project. That's the life! But the early versions sound so odd and unfamiliar. We could do a whole collage of "discarded versions". It's like BOLT or something. It's fascinating.

...Aaaanyway, I made it to post 57 and need to break off, and this is sort of a bookmark.

As for Heart and Dream, I don't have anything to present yet. It's been a little rough lately and inspiration is somewhat drained.