View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 07:43 PM   #35
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Strolling wasn't even a word peacefull enough to describe the movement of Beren. His relaxed gait carried him finally out of the Garden, and onto the path to the Inn. Judging by the shortness of the length between the horizon and the sun, he deemed it late in the day indeed, late enough to grab a bite, even.

He meandered up the well beaten path to the door of the cozy Inn, his heart already warming to the expectation of tranquility inside. He could imagine Cook beginning to dish out the evening meal to a group of lounging patrons, the hubbub of the room amounting to speech that could barely wake a newborn babe. A smile crept across his lips as he turned to knob, pushing open the door.

His mouth opened slightly to great the room in cheer when the din of a thousand voices hit him.

"Get help from somewhere, I don't care!" came a shout.

"No no no, this goes here..THAT goes there." voiced an unseen mouth.

Beren gaped at the turmoil he had just set foot in. His eyes dashed back and forth, attempting to find some order in the chaos, some beacon of calm, when they landed on Aman, her form dashing around the room. He strolled up to her, the intention of inquiring as to the chaos on his lips when she looked up to notice him.

"Beren! It's about time you made it in here, I was about to send someone to get you, even if I'm not sure we could spare the hand at the moment." She rapidly spewed the sentence, giving him barely enough time to interpret it before going on. "We've got something of an emergency, you see, Pio is coming to town!" The smile left on her face after the words obviously meant that some glimmer of recognition should be flying through Beren's mind.

"Wait..what? How? no..Who?" He stubled across the questioning words, attempting to discern a complete thought in them. "Wait, right, who's coming to town?"

"Pio! The Innkeeper, she was here before me. Ah, right, you wouldn't know, anyway it's a long story that we don't have time for right now, just take my word for it." She nodded at herself, obviously satisfied in her explanation of events.

Beren gaped at her, the look of general perplexment ever-present on his face. "Right, sure, Pio. Got it."

"Oh! Now for you." Beren's eyebrow raised as she went on. "Cook wants you to run to the Mill." Again a question creeped across Beren's face, but this time she was ready. "Just ask Derufin on your way out, he'll point you in the right direction. I doubt even you could get lost. Get along now, Cook will have both our hides if that flour isn't back before the end of the day."

Beren imagined for a brief second of getting in a word, or pehaps if the heavens favored him, even a sentence in edgewise, but this was no time for such idle dreams. He nodded politely to her, then smiled something a bit more than simply polite. Turning, he dashed off to the door, grabbing his cloak off the rack as he opened it.