View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 10:35 PM   #62
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

‘Well, that’s that!’ Luinien announced with satisfaction, resting her pitchfork.

She and Tarondo had gotten up early that morning to care for their horses. The somewhat unkempt appearance of the inn’s stables had induced them to remedy the shortfall, in thanks for Mistress Pio’s many kindnesses. Luinien had just finished forking down hay from the loft, and was ready for some breakfast – or luncheon, as it appeared from the sun. But only silence answered her triumphant proclamation.

‘Tarondo?’ Still no answer. He’s probably hiding down there to pounce on me when I come down the ladder, she decided, laying down the pitchfork. Stepping silently across the loft, she approached a rope that dangled over the edge. We’ll see who’s surprised!

Just as she stooped to grasp the rope, she caught a glimpse of movement. Argh! her brain raged for one helpless instant, then a heavy weight crashed into her.

Facedown in the hay, Luinien spluttered futilely, then kicked and squirmed her way out from under her assailant. She tried to wrest free completely, but found herself flat on her back, a capable hand pinning each wrist, and a well-known face grinning down at her wrath.

‘What was that for?’ she demanded. ‘Let me go!’

Tarondo laughed. ‘Why, that was for nothing!’ Seeing by his sister’s lack of appreciation, he continued. ‘Actually, I was done down there and decided to come up and finish the hay for you. You didn’t hear me when I came up the ladder, though, and I thought to sneak up and startle you. Then I noticed how handy these beams were, and…’ he shrugged.

‘And you decided to jump me instead. What a thoughtful brother!’ Luinien glared up at him, but merriment twinkled in her eye. ‘It must have looked funny to see me trying to outwit you, thinking you were waiting under the ladder!’ she giggled. ‘Come on, now, how about letting me up?’

‘Your wish is my command!’ Tarondo released her and helped her to her feet. ‘How about breakfast?’ he inquired as they climbed down the ladder.

‘I’m starving!’ Luinien declared, turning to face him, then broke off in another fit of giggles at the sight. ‘But we’d probably better brush the hay off before we go in!’

Tarondo shouted with laughter. ‘Speak for yourself! Your hair is more gold than black!’

Several minutes later the pair approached the inn’s front door, somewhat disheveled but (nearly) free of hay. They paused to read the notice on the front door; then, eyebrow raised, Luinien turned the knob and entered. She stepped into the room and stopped dead, jaw dropping in astonishment.

The common room was a scene of bustling activity. Various hobbits and Elf-girls scurried here and there, brandishing various culinary and housekeeping implements, bearing loads of food, and wielding mops and dust rags. Cami was muttering over a list of some kind, and a lovely woman-child in white was directing a man toward the kitchens. A few guests still conversed, blissfully oblivious to a red-haired girl who, armed with a broom and climbing on chairs and tables, was enthusiastically attacking the rafters’ cobwebs.

Luinien shook herself out of her paralysis, gave up any thoughts of food for the present, and addressed the anxious hobbit. ‘Mistress Cami, may my brother and I assist you? I cannot in good faith vouch for our cooking, but I can clean’ – she unobtrusively stepped on a piece of hay that had fallen out of her hair – ‘and Tarondo – oh!’ she broke off.

The red-haired girl had swung herself up onto the rafters to obliterate a particularly noxious spider web. In trying to reach it she had slipped, but Tarondo caught her just in time. ‘May I help you?’ he inquired cheerfully.

Luinien turned back to the assistant innkeeper. ‘It looks as if Tarondo’s talents lie in demolishing cobwebs,’ she laughed. ‘May we help?’