View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #164
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Update: I finished the music in Finale (which is the program I use). I have failed to figure out any workable method of recording it from the device. However, I figured out how to import it into Flat.io - which I believe means that we can share the document via Google accounts. The bad news is that 1) Flat uses very different instrument timbres than Finale, 2) all the "volume" instructions somehow failed to translate and the whole song just plays at maximum volume the entire time, and 3) the programs both play robotically but in different ways and therefore need different "instructions" to compensate for it. In combination, this means that the notes are there but I will need to redo most of the articulation before it's presentable again.

Overall I think Flat is more advanced than Finale. It has some features that Finale doesn't. But it also doesn't have some things, like the ability to just put a line of text where you need to without making it into lyrics or annotation.

I'll send you the link by PM which I believe will enable you to edit/play/do whatever.

Edit: Here is what's happening right now.

G55: so you play quietly here.
Flat: fortissimo? (=ear-splittingly loud)
G55: no, very quietly.
Flat: so, fortissimo.
G55: and you get quieter and quieter until you fade out.
Flat: so basically keep playing as loudly as you can?

Yeah, this is not working out very well. I am downloading Audacity (what your link suggested) to see if I can record what I had on Finale from there.

Edit 2: Hurray! It is now in mp3 form. Now gotta figure out how to pass that onto you...

Edit 3: hopefully final update for the time being. I can now record audio from my computer, which is very good, and means that the process will be much easier for the future, and it's not too much work to make adjustments and re-record. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can record Melian's part today, because indoors my housemates are doing some renovations and outdoors there's a pool party next door. I will wait for a quieter time to record, and once I have that I will probably send it to you by the same means - unless you have a better suggestion.

With regards to the music, do let me know which places should be adjusted. For anything. Too loud, too quiet, too pointy, too calm, too dull, too sad, etc. It will be a much faster fix than the slow process to this point. I struggled a bit with getting Thingol's part to sound alive, because a program is a program and will play all notes flat and steady to the exact duration as is specified, and I ended up having to give a LOT of instructions for him. He used to sound like a dying swan at first, but I think now there's a bit more character to the music. Tell me what you think - especially for his quest to Angband lines, because I had a hard time choosing which mood to go for with that stanza.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 07-25-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote