View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #2318
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think I may need to explain that. You see, that goat was driving me absolutely bonkers for weeks. I really wanted to know what in Udun was going on in that picture. Hilariously, I even got the taking the hobbits to Isengard reference - just didn't know what to do with it in context, and was this close to responding with "boil it, mash it, stick it in a stew". So I spent lots of time gazing open-mouthed upon Pitchie's beautiful work of art, wondering what in the name of sanity could have happened in the first quarter (!) of the PT.

...Turns out, a lot.

I can't believe that simple, bland, innocent sentence was the mother of all madness. And every picture and sentence were evolving things one step further at a rapid pace. And then we finally reached the "constant" element (the state of equilibrium?) with Lobelia's spoons. It amused me to see how many stories and interpretations could still focus on those spoons! It took me 2 reads to understand how Bilbo in Bombadil's jacket became Lily Cotton - but it's brilliant! And the final sentence, which is very suitably meta: how the artists used Lobelia's spoons for their masterpieces, huh?

Favourite sentences: Rune's very first sentence, which was an inspired an elaborate interpretation. Lommy's frozen Halls of Mandos and diabolical Lobelia. Kath's, which reveals Bilbo's career as a burglar to be much more extensive than he would have us believe.

Favourite drawings: Pitchwife's goat picture, which drove me crazy but is a wonderful art piece (and of course is perfectly logical now with the preceding steps in sight). Likewise, Hui's picture can easily go on a book cover. TGEW's, which was a fabulous literal interpretation. Rikae's, which made me laugh. Greenie's sour-faced Lobelia. Lommy's creative depiction of a civil war.

That was an excellent round! I agree with Nog that the early rapid evolution was absolutely hilarious - but likewise all the different takes on Lobelia and her spoons. And I can finally have peace now and stop wondering how that goat wandered into the story and casually shield-coasted into a box of trophies...