View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #118
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I'm going to work on "Wind" now, but a thought threw itself into my mind: we've (I've) dropped the name of Morgoth a few times, when "the Enemy"/"the Foe" wouldn't scan. It's 100% accurate to the Silm, but... for the purposes of the Musical, is it worth changing it to "Sauron" where possible? Obviously not where there's a connection to the Silmarils, but in contexts of "fight the enemy"...?
I don't think so, at least not at the top of my head. Sauron is the villain of Finrod's story, but not the main villain of Beren and Luthien's story. I don't think it's better to make Sauron into a Morgoth or vice versa, they have their own roles in the musical. I did notice that the original musical never actually mentions Morgoth by name, though there are many possible explanations for this. (Also, confusingly they keep referring to Morgoth's lands as having snows and ice etc, which is not an obvious reference in my mind). I don't believe it ever uses "Enemy/Foe/etc" to refer to Sauron though. All Sauron gets is bat-like Death.

Just a quick question here:

Quote:
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the Sea
Did you capitalize Sea on purpose? The online (I know...) Sil text I used for reference has it lowercase.

Luthien and the Blood-zoning

(In my head I am already referring to Melian's Aria as The Tonguelashing. This one will have to be The Bloodzone.)

Quote:
Feanor's house, or arrogant mortal dispossessed - Choose one.
For rhythmic purposes, it would be nice to have a third syllable in "choose one". I am not sure how to do it; "now choose one" and "choose but one" aren't right. "You decide"? Doesn't have the same command tone. It's gotta be something good.

Quote:
I come to speak with your king Felagund
Oh, that would gall them so much, to have Finrod named as their king! Yesss!

Quote:
Is he leading an army to Land of Woe?
An alternative: "Is he leading a force to the Land of Woe?". Not sure which of "army" vs "force" works better, but "force" gives you "the". Food for thought.

I love Finrod the Mad!

Plan for the evening: listen to Wind (because that melody just goes in one ear and out the other, I can never remember even what that song is about), and add comments about that one.