View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #5147
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I'm quite against any strict restrictions - I'm not against some people going for a super experimental game if they want to - but in general it sounds like a very bad idea.

Like some people have already noticed: situations may change drastically (reveals, sudden bandwagons, someone finds a crucial point...) which requires possibility to react freely. Also the whole feel of the game has lot to do with spontainety, including little banter here and there.

Quoting is also quite crucial to the game-mechanics. If people are forced to quote less to save their post-lengths it will immediately favor the wolves (who are, according to Kuru's latest statistics in the Grimoire, clearly having the upper hand already of late). Add to that a post-count restriction, and the wolves can co-ordinate things nicely especially late in the Day.

Or think about the last minute frenzy when everyone is holding their precious one last post to the very end, looking to see if someone is trying to use the situation to their advantage...

Also, who wants to count the characters in one's posts? So a Word or LibreOffice is required to play so that you can check the number of characters you use?

That said, I do think the walls of text in the first game this summer were quite overwhelming and we all could think twice, when it is truly important to make such huge posts (or quote all the stuff people quote) and when not.
What Nogrod is saying here is that the game will be different than normal, and change is bad.

Anyways I haven't tried to develop the idea since the end of the game, but I think we are overthinking certain aspects here.

There would definitely need to be a maximum length to the post, but one should not have to diligently count characters. I have sufficient faith in you guys to trust that you would play in the spirit of the game (and the new rules), and if a post or two is a bit over the limit, so what. Of course if there are obvious and repeatedly infractions, then the mods would need to take action.

If we were to put a cap on the number of posts, it could be in place until x hours prior to deadline from whence the cap would be out of effect. Again we could trust each other to stick to the spirit of the game, or we could add some different restrictions such as "no consecutive posts" etc.

In the words of the great Billy Joel "It's always been a matter of trust"

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote