View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #830
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
A Post on Role selection and other random thoughts...

I drew for the wolves first.

The first round, I drew 4 names 3 times. And all 3 times I pulled Legate and Mac's names. So, I figured it must have been meant to be this time...especially also being set near Amon Lanc.

I set them aside as 2 of the wolves and then pulled 4 names 3 more times. This had a little more variety, but there were 3 names I pulled twice... Pitch, Sally, Wilwa. I debated various combinations and thought maybe whoever is left out could be the cobbler.

But I settled on a pack of Legate, Mac, Pitch and Wilwa.

I pulled names for the gifted roles 3 times.

1 time Greenie was the seer and another time the Beast Hunter. 1 time Nilp was the ranger and another time the Beast Hunter. So I settled on Greenie seer, and Nilp BH. I pulled Lommy's name twice for the ranger and figured that was meant to be. Lommy messaged that she rarely ever was the Ranger and always seemed to protect the wolves more than innocents.

I was going to draw for the cobbler a few times, but 1st go was Rikae. I thought, perfect. They can put their wolf-finding skills for nefarious purposes.

Night 1 after roles had gone out, threw a big wrench into the start of the game. The next morning Wilwa messaged me she had to withdraw. Legate messaged me around Noon (with Day 1 starting in 6 hours) that he had not heard yet from either Mac or Pitch. So I rushed to figure out if I just regroup and restart in a few days or what to do.

I thought the best course was even if I couldn't get someone to be the 16th player for Wilwa to stick with 4 werewolves (I probably would have then just said forget about the NW). So, I quickly messaged sally, since she was sort of that '5th name' that if she wouldn't mind switching sides and being a wolf. She quickly got back and accepted. That was set.

I thought this might be really unfavorable to the village but essentially losing an "ordo" before Day 1 wouldn't be the most insurmountable setback. But I thought I better try to find someone to take a villager spot. I messaged Form and Eomer. They both responded Yes, Form just maybe 5 minutes before Eomer. And I thought...oh maybe I can insert Eomer into the game too! Wait...idiot, roles have already been sent out, it would be obvious what Eomer's role would be! But it's ok for Form to come in because the only people who knew Wilwa was meant to be a wolf were the other members. And the only person who knew sally was supposed to be an ordo was sally.

I'm very glad to pull Form out of retirement and that he and Nienna enjoyed it! From the very first post of "I'm just house-sitting for Wilwa, I wasn't even supposed to be here" post I was super happy. Thank you again!

Thank you BG for also stepping back into the game and glad you enjoyed it too!

I'm very happy that the BH role was used. When I was reading other Mafia-inspired games I thought it would be cool, but also over-powering in a smaller village.

I regret all that planning of the NW didn't go into effect. In the first email to the pack the randomizer spit out Pitch's name, but I gave them the option to discuss during Night 1 and change it to another one of them if they wanted. Pitch graciously accepted to keep it.

I think it would have been better to go with the other option of maybe once 2 wolves were dead, or when 1 wolf died and there were X number in the dead thread, instead of having 1 pre-chosen wolf to be the NW. Because while that set up an interesting dynamic for the pack to decide who to sacrifice and not. I think it also left quite a lot of confusion for the innocents to untangle as well. As the NW sort of became a psuedo-cobbler wolf, that people assumed would be the first wolf sacrificed/to die. That was probably more of a disadvantage to the village during the Day that this wolf pack used to their advantage.

Still, I guess that's the way of gaming and fortune. All the best laid plans of players and mods...Because had Nilp chosen Lottie night 2, or had the wolves taken the bait and tried to kill him Night 3, Pitch would have been the one sacrificed. If I'm remembering that correctly. They wisely chose Legate Night 4, figuring he was the one most likely to go down in a lynch soon. Also, fortunate that he was the wolf Greenie dreamed of already.

I can't say I was too disappointed though, because my end goal is just a balanced game that hopefully everyone enjoyed playing. And there will be another time to tinker with a NW possibly.

So much stuff I wrote down to comment on, but having to keep it to myself

I think I will leave it at this and call it a night...

Quote:
Haha, 2006 was a good year...though I didn't start playing WW until 2007. Welp, my wedding is offically postponed thanks to covid, and as of now I literally have nothing else to look forward to this year, so I might as well keep playing at least while I'm still working from home (which will probably be at least until September). I will say I could use a few weeks off from WW - maybe another game at the beginning of July?
I'd be good with a break...because I definitely need to get back to some RL matters, but same boat. I'll still be pretty much free in July and August to play. Also, congratulations on your marriage!

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-12-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote