View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #217
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Weary (lazy, lifeless, apathetic)

Good picks:

Mandos - To the point. Weary of all the sorrows of the world only he and his brother understand and unable to basically do anything about any fate as that could mess with Eru's plans (well he made one exception though). And like phantom said: the Halls of Waiting... You could touch the laziness and apathy - and the lifelesness almost by definition...

Brown Lands - a good one. You could really attach all the attributes given to it - and the weariness looming over it by both the place itself in the absence of the Entwives who had made it flower times ago - and the longing of the ents projected on it...

Rivendell - A place dedicated to the reminiscence of heroic days of the past where along it's long halways elves recited old poems - and did nothing for an age even if they could have! A place which air was thick with weariness by the loss of the great history and the depressing thought of future fate of the elves felt. A place perfectly suiting the over-ageing Bilbo Baggins to wither away... A place of an eternal autumn.

I can see why to pick if not agreeing fully:

The Old Forest - It was an old forest indeed, waning in a way and weariness fits it well. The problem though is that it seemed not to be that lazy, lifeless or apathetic when it had something to do - like stray and catch some hobbits...

Ringwraiths - Haha! Yeah, I could see the point in here, but in the absence of a deeper view of the ringwraith psychology it is up to anyone to have their own minds about their disposition... ("Oh no, not again a trip to catch some miserable halflings from the other side of the ME... give me a break; I was just having a sweet daydream of my glorious past and would rather sleep over my sorry state." )

Galion the Butler - I'd disagree with him being a good choice. He was lazy and fond of wine, but weary, lifeless, apathetic? No.

Poor choices / can't get the point:

Maedhros - except for the joke phantom refers to it's hard to see him as lazy, lifeless or apathetic - and his weariness in face of their deeds Maglor would have been a more fitting choice... Maedhros played - and firmly decided to play it - to the bitter end. A weary one would have resigned.

Gorlim the Unhappy - weary maybe in one sense, but then again if he had been weary in the other sense (bringing in laziness or apathy) none of the bad things would have fallen after the first tragedy - so on the contrary it was hope and desire that fell him even deeper...

Mirkwood - can't see any point in choosing this one (someone needed to discard a tater I presume?).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote