View Single Post
Old 12-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #30
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Speaking of good writers on ff.net, Altariel is fabulous. I love Faramir fics and her "A Game of Chess" is a masterpiece that's set after the War of the Ring. It is NOT a Mary-Sue.

While I don't like to read Mary-Sues, I don't mind people writing them because that's how most people start out when they're writing. Wish fulfilment stories are okay as long as I don't have to look at them. Actually, some Mary-Sues overcome their questionable origins to become pretty good stories. There's one in particular at ff.net that I like quite a bit, even though the heroine has white hair, fights as well as a man, is Aragorn's long-lost cousin and has three canon characters attracted to her -- all hallmarks of a typical Mary-Sue. I won't give the title, because the author would probably be insulted that I thought her story a Mary-Sue.

Ways to avoid writing a Mary-Sue:

Don't invent new characters. Use only canon characters that already have defined roles in the story.

If you must invent a female character, make darn sure she doesn't end up romantically involved with a canon character EVER (unless it's Gimli). Invent a new character for her to fall in love with.

She must also not be related to any canon characters. Do not have her be a long-lost twin, cousin, bastard daughter or ex-girlfriend of anyone with a name.

Do not make her royalty of any type. Especially not a long-lost elven princess, or the true heir of the caliphate of Harad, etc.

Do not make her looks strikingly beautiful or ugly.

Do not make her better at a canon character's specialty than that character is. If she shoots better than Legolas, rides better than Eomer and finds mithril better than Gimli, she needs to be toned down. She can be good enough to win compliments, just not *better*. A non-Mary-Sue would ride better than Gimli, shoot better than Eomer and find mithril better than Legolas. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Do not have all the canon characters like/admire her. Some should dislike her, be indifferent or even suspicious.

Do not have her die and have everyone cry over her loss.

Do not give her a single word name that is a noun. Especially if that noun is "Cat".

Cheers!
-Lily