View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 02:04 AM   #113
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
That is one reason I reject any conventional form of religion, another is that it also exhorts me to reject science and I find theoretical physics to be truly transcendent. But the main one is why should I accept what other humans have written as the Truth?
Because God was the one who wrote it...

Ahem!

Anyway, the main reason I quoted/posted here was to say how terribly sad the relationship between Science and Religion has become. Prior to the 20th Century, and even ofttimes therein, the great scientists tended, by and large, to fairly devout people- typically Christians, if from the Western world. Newton, Galileo, Einstein- all believed in God (and according to an organised faith) and studied His creation out of a desire to understand the things He wrought (I simplify, somewhat...).

Religion, particularly Christianity, it is true, has always been somewhat reactionary. Since Science, of its very nature, is forward-looking, changing its appearance with the emergence of every new theory, it was natural the Religion and Science should collide, with Science tugging inexorably towards the future, while Religion moves more slowly, with a much greater trend towards keeping the valued things of the past.

The two are not natural enemies, though, and it is entirely possible to be both a progressive scientist and a devout -even a conservative- believer.

Alas that things appear otherwise these days...