View Single Post
Old 05-20-2002, 02:13 PM   #77
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Licking the last crumbs of cheesecake from her fingers, and running her tongue around the borders of her lips to make herself presentable, piosenniel runs to the nearby keg for a draught of something to slake her thirst. her thoughts run to finding a dance partner now that she's refreshed herself with food and then drink.

Looking up at the clouds scudding along in the blue sky, she is surprised to find herself suddenly flung on the ground, her coronet askew over one dark eye. It seems she's run into some solid, and very dusty thing. Blinking the sunlight out of her eyes, and focussing on the field in front of her, she spies a large, tattered heap on the ground near the keg.

'Who let those elves in to this party!!!' muttered the heap in an irritated manner' 'Thieving and running down senior citizens! . . .'. The tattered heap raised its head and a baleful glare came into the old wight's eyes.

'Begging your High and Mighty Wightness, sir, but who are you calling a senior citizen. You're just a young sapling in the first flush of life . . . er, umm . . . decay, that is. I'm sure I'm older than you by an Age or so!'

Standing, brushing off her dress, and readjusting her fillet of holly leaves to her mussed up curls, piosenniel curtsied to the Barrow Wight and extended her hand to his. 'Here let me help you up.'

Once up, she brushed him down as best she could without knocking off bits and pieces and got him a new, full tankard of well-brewed ale. She watched as he swallowed a large mouthful and let out a loud celebratory belch. The baleful gleam fading to a look of anticipation as he brought the tankard to his lips again. A sigh of satisfaction wheezed out of him as his sight spied the bottom of the vessel.

'Well, I'll take that as a Thank-you'!, grinned piosenniel. '& now that you're refreshed, let's go over by littlemanpoet's band and dance a round or two.'

Before the somewhat taken aback Wight could nay-say her, she had taken firm hold of his one good arm and wheeled him into the dance.

Leaning toward his mouldering ear, for the music was good but quite loud, she told him: 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR WIGHT - AND MAY THE STARS SHINE ON MANY MORE!!!'