View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #25
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Looking at it one way, there is a vested interest for Sauron in the Ring appearing to be 'sentient'. If anyone who finds it immediately associates it with 'evil' then it is highly unlikely that anyone will want to keep it. Hence tales of Isildur's 'fall' are highly beneficial to Sauron; they spread the reputation of the Ring as being something you simply do not want to keep. Likewise, the evil reputation can be of benefit when it appears to 'tempt' certain people who think they are strong-willed enough to master it.

As a concept, the Ring is incredibly powerful. Whether it actually does have any sense of being 'evil' is debatable as it is an object. That depends on whether we believe in 'magic' or not. I shall come back to that...

All of those who come into physical or visual contact with the Ring, or who at least hear of it have an opinion. In the main we see characters who don't want anything to do with it, e.g. Gandalf, Faramir. We also see characters who do want to deal with it (usually in a tangible sense) such as Bilbo, Gollum, Boromir, Frodo - all of whom have their own reasons for doing so. Only one character remains unmoved by it, Tom Bombadil. Does he view it as a simple object?

But to accept the story, to be immersed into it and accept the danger that faces Middle-earth, the reader too must believe the 'magic', that the Ring is evil. If we don't, then wouldn't the story become redundant?

I currently believe the power of the Ring is linked somewhat to osanwe; Sauron has poured much of his own mind/fea/something like that into its creation, and the 'call' of the Ring acts on those principles. Of course, that's my current way of thinking, maybe I'll read something else to change my mind sooner or later, because the Ring is something of an enigma.

Whether the Ring is a 'cat' or 'like a cat', depends on how you view cats. I can see one Bagpuss-like specimen now, sleeping off his dinner; this cat offers comfort when his owners are upset or ill. He has to be carried to bed at night, and he is trained to 'speak' to his mum when he wants something. That doesn't sound ring-like to me.