View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Well, first, the One Ring is not Sauron. You can't have two things be the same thing, if that makes any sense. Sauron, in making the Ring, did not clone himself, and even if he were able to do so (NOT!), the clone would be his creation and not the original.
I didn't suggest that the Ring was Sauron, rather that it was an extension of his will and power. It was a separate and distinct part of him. I don't find that too incredible in a fantasy world.

I suppose that it depends upon whether you regard the Ring as a "character" in the story. If you see it purely as an object in which Sauron imbued part of his power then no, it is not a part of him. But I see it differently, as you seem to do with your comparison of it to a pet. The Ring was a "character" in the sense that it could adapt itself and exert influence independently.

But it could not have a life of its own. Sauron could create it, but could not imbue it with a life of its own, just as Aule could not imbue his Dwarves with life. Only Eru could do that. So, if you regard the Ring as a "living character", as I do, it's life, will, spirit, fea, call it what you will, had to come from somewhere. Either he trapped an evil spirit within it, which would give it a measure of independent will, or he imbued it with part of his own life, or fea. I do not regard the Ring as having an independent will. Although it could act independently, it was acting according to the (disjointed) will of its master. I can only conclude, therefore, that he imbued it with part of his own will.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
The intellectually lazy could lay down truism-laden laws on these domestic animals without having to think.
Actually, I was speaking from experience. They can of course make very good companions, as long as their carer recognises the reality of the relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
... and no one belongs in Mordor out of hand, human, cat, dog, iguana, ideally even Orc.
Try telling that to all the poor teachers, parents and minor offenders who have been assigned there.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 09-09-2005 at 09:02 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote